Tuesday, September 25, 2007

You're Fired! I'm Representing Myself!

"Somebody needs to kill my trial attorney." The last words of George Harris (1959-2000). Harris was on death row and was executed on September 13th, 2000 in Missouri.

I know Harris is not famous, but I read the quote and I could not resist writing something about it. I've grown up around attorneys and judges, because of my father who happens to be a judge.

Harris was on death row for shooting a man in the face. He was then arrested for armed robbery in Columbia 2 weeks later. In 1982 Harris was convicted with first degree murder and armed robbery. In court he said that he murdered the man in self defense, but the supreme court did not believe him and sentenced him to death.

I'm not sure if he was making a joke, or if he was actually serious. Personally I think it is one of the funniest things said before execution. Usually people give their love to their families, or say they are innocent, or even apologize for what they did. But this man, he wanted someone to kill the lawyer who represented him. The man was obviously not in the right state of mind, but blaming your attorney for being convicted is completely crazy. He did the crime, he's lucky he had the right to an attorney and a chance to go to trial. Or at least that is how I see the situation. His attorney was helping a guilty man, Harris should have been able to see that the attorney was doing him a favor. A guilty client is not the most desired client.

No comments: